It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Russian zip guns ...................
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:54 am 
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
Well compared to some rifles the 1891 rifles seem like zip guns :)

Today was grey and drizzling and about thirty-four degrees so it seemed like a perfect day to take a couple old timers out . After all it's not like they haven't seen ugly weather before huh?

Wanting to shoot from a hundred or so yards I thought I'd set up in the Polaris shed where the bench is . Since I was going to be under a roof anyway I took out my little propane heater and fired it up under the bench . I know .... really roughing it there . The heater only puts out enough to warm your hands not really affect a 12X16 shed .

I hadn't shot the 91/59 carbine for some time and I only had twenty cast loads for it . Other that being grouped slightly to the left it was still on and grouped well for a carbine .

Next up was a Finn M39 . A box of new commercial Privi ammo went out with me and I got to feel what recoil is again . Not the face bruising kind but it still pushed more than I've been getting , gallery loads they were not . It grouped right where the sights were looking maybe just a touch low . I don't know when this Finn was made but it has the older hex receiver .

Now to clean rifles and load ammo .......................

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Post subject: Re: Russian zip guns ...................
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Went out yesterday morning myself. Took the neighbor lady's sister and her husband. All pistol, from 25-50 yards on steel. They had a S&W 669, a Sig P229 (in 9mm), and a Glock 19. For myself, I hauled out my S&W669, a Ruger SR40c, a Colt Government Model .380, and my S&W 22A.

I think that my 669 shot a tad tighter than his, but not really enough so to announce a winner.

The Sig is an Elite Model, and has a fine trigger. They also liked the Colt Government Model .380.

The SR40c was, according to her sister, "too much gun", although it seemed to recoil softer than the 669.

The 22A was a hit. It's a bit finicky about ammo, though. Of course, I don't shoot it much, so it's approaching 200 rounds through it. Not really broken in yet.

The day was overcast, temps in the 40's, but dry.

A good time was had by all.

This morning, after the rain had passed, I visited the LGS, and had them order a spare magazine for Jess' Savage Axis. While there, they told me that a Ruger American Comp[act was enroute. I asked about caliber, and was told ".45 ACP", we were thinking about you." :?: :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 pm 

It sounds like the gun shop people know you pretty good ! :!:

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, they do.

Jack, I have a pair of 91/59 rifles in my collection of Mosins. I found them to be like clones of the Model 1938. Using standard loaded 7.62x54R, they are little flame-throwers.

I do like the fact that they don't have a folding bayonet, as most paper won't charge you. Nor do they need that bayonet extended for best accuracy, as in the Model 1944. :!:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm 

I agree with you , I would have liked to have found a nice M38 that had a good bore and muzzle . I had to settle for this one , throat is a little long but the muzzle is perfect . It shoots as well as I can see to operate it which is about three to four inch groups at a hundred fifteen yards .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While I was visiting my son , we went to a gun store, where I saw a Winchester model 1886 lever action shotgun for sale for $1,000.

Don't know if that was a good deal or not ???? :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:22 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

vanhahner wrote:
While I was visiting my son , we went to a gun store, where I saw a Winchester model 1886 lever action shotgun for sale for $1,000.

Don't know if that was a good deal or not ???? :?

The only times I ever handled, or even observed, the Model 1886 were when I was around SASS/CAS events... that's been twenty years now. I saw several, but not many. There weren't too many originals folks wanted to take out and shoot. IIRC, the Chinese had a 1886 copy out, along with their 1897 pump copy.

Honestly, I've been out of that loop a good while. That said, the way gun prices have been going, $1K for an original 1886 wouldn't surprise me.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I ran across one a couple of years ago that was made in 1905 I think. If memory serves they were asking about $3K, which was way more than I'd ever pay for a scattergun of just about any description. I don't know what they actually sold it for, or even if they did.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

According to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, 2016 Edition, the first lever-action Winchester Shotgun was the Model 0f 1887. Made between 1887 and 1901. In 1901, it was replaced with a re-designed Model 1887, called the Model 1901. There were approximately 65,000 units made. The Model 1901 was made from 1901-1920, and the same 65,000 units were sold.

In the book, an excellent condition piece has a value of $2700. Very Good, $1500. Good, $850. Fair, $500, and Poor, $300.

Zong Zhou, Norinco, and Chiappa have all made guns similar to the 1887. Frankly, they may all be the same gun, only branded differently. NONE of them are, to me, worth $1000.00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:04 pm 

For me , if it's made in china I won't buy it . I've seen way to much really poor quality stuff from them to trust a firearm made by them .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not advocating one, just mentioning that these groups have made clones. Some people might think that they had a minty original.