It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Put another Rifle on Lay-away
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jack...........that's an idea for later. Perhaps when 50-50 is an option.

Mustanger, she's already the safety Nazi for trips to shoot. I've also instilled in her the thought that she cannot control everyone, but she CAN get her butt out of the area if it becomes dangerous. I did the same with both of my sons. One of which was her late father.

I've hinted in conversation that she should align herself with one of the pro-2nd Amendment groups via membership. To me, though, that's her decision. She'll be 17 soon, and she graduates from High School in the Class of 2018. After that, life intrudes. I want her grounded in facts about guns and shooting before life invariably makes 1300 mile round trips logistically impossible.

She also knows that she can come here for school if she chooses to do so. :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

JR47 wrote:
Mustanger, she's already the safety Nazi for trips to shoot. I've also instilled in her the thought that she cannot control everyone, but she CAN get her butt out of the area if it becomes dangerous. I did the same with both of my sons. One of which was her late father.

I'd say she's lucky you did. And a teenager who knows how to assess risk... well, she's way ahead of these other kids we talk about ...most don't seem to get it before they're about 25, if then.

When I was 7, Daddy gave me two simple rules... 1) don't drop the gun, and 2) don't turn around; keep it pointed downrange. It stuck with me 35 years later... place in Proverbs comes to mind. My parents both clued me in that there's a point where it's obviously time to withdraw from the AO. I learned that a lot of times the signs are there before they become quite obvious, if we can see them. I'm not yet quite sure how to pass this on.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rifle is here. Looks good, but I'm not exactly enthused with the 6# trigger. It's clean enough, with little movement, but a bit "strong."

Our local gunsmith told me this morning that he could bring that down to a safe 3#. Price is $60.00. Guess who's going to work on it for me? I have an old Savage Model 110G with a laminated stock, in .270, that he did the same thing with.

Going to try it with 100 gr loads from Federal, Remington, Hornady, PPU, and S&B. Should be a sufficiently powerful load for the deer she'll run into up there. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sweet ! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:34 pm 
Master Lieutenant General
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
As long as it's accurate for her all is well in the world then :!:

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:12 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

JR47 wrote:
Rifle is here. Looks good, but I'm not exactly enthused with the 6# trigger. It's clean enough, with little movement, but a bit "strong."

Near as I can figure, a good 3lb trigger aughta be the ticket. IIRC, the Accutriggers only reduce to 3lb, and my Model 11 is set as low as it'll go.

Quote:
Going to try it with 100 gr loads from Federal, Remington, Hornady, PPU, and S&B. Should be a sufficiently powerful load for the deer she'll run into up there. :)

While I can't speak to Remington's .243 offering, I've seen quite respectable results with CoreLokts in other calibers. The three deer killed with my .243... those were with 100gr Winchester PowerPoints.

I've shot some 100gr S&B. With the gun sighted in with Winchester, S&B hit a good bit high at 100yds. At the time, I chalked it up to the difference between American SAAMI spec vs euro spec. S&B seems to be loaded hotter.

Jack Stanley wrote:
As long as it's accurate for her all is well in the world then :!:

Jack

Yup. :)

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Back to me today. It seems that the Axis trigger isn't as adjustable as the older 110 triggers, and is, in fact, a different thing entirely. I now have a sweet Timney 3# trigger in place. :!:

Going to clean it up, lube it, and take it out for a little test-firing. Probably pick a day when my having to tell people "it's for my grand-daughter" won't happen much.

All I can say is that it's a good thing deer are color blind. Pink camouflage really isn't. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:44 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

JR47 wrote:
All I can say is that it's a good thing deer are color blind. Pink camouflage really isn't. :)

Kinda reminds me... if I wear jeans, dull colored shirt... even a red flannel shirt... and this is with the legally mandated safety orange, the deer don't care. I've had them feed within 30' and never act like I'm there. But if I wear any kind of camo... usually Realtree AP HD, but Mossy Oak or plain old woodland, too... I get busted every time.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? As warm as this week is being, I'd about expect a crowd at the range.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been up in Quantico, Va. with my step-daughter since last Wednesday. She was headed to Colorado when her baby sitter fell out of the scene. Got home last night, sick as a dog. Doctor says I have a nasty sinus infection. No shooting for at least two more days. :!:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you back ! I'll be waiting for you to catch up ! (big 70) :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still sick. Shooting would cause my head to explode. JUst now starting to believe that I may heal. Last night was broken into 30 minute segments of sleep, wake up coughing, then controlling my sinuses, and falling asleep again.

May try to get out to the LGS, to pick up that old Remington .22 I have on lay-away. At least I'm not contagious. :?: :?: :)