It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 721 Remington .30-06
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Added the Lyman #57... inletting the stock is a fairly simple deal, but that's subjective. My best info says this particular variant of sight was made between 1953 and '57 which puts the sight in the middle five years of the 721's production run.

Still gotta pick a good day and shoot it.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Today looks nice. Cool, sunny, calm. We're heading out soon. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I finally test fired this one in this configuration. The original pattern stock works much better for shooting iron sights... it don't bust your cheekbone every time you light it. So, now recoil is much more tolerable.

I fired three different handloads... two different Sierra 125gr... SP and JHP... and Hornady's 150gr SP. Powder is IMR4064... 44.5grs and 46grs, respectively. While the 150's were loaded in PMC brass, the Sierras were in once-fired LC69. They all fed from the magazine, fired, extracted/ejected... no muss, no fuss, blahblahblah. (From that, I think this rifle will probably digest M2 ball. I recall hearing some sporters don't do surplus ammo.)

Starting with the Lyman #57 bottomed out, all three loads hit about 4" low at 25yds. This requires excessive elevation to hit to POA. This is with the original front sight. So, to my way of thinking, the front sight correction is next.

Edited to note: I just looked back at the rear sight's range plate... I had it set to Zero MOA and after that much elevation, it's showing 15MOA. At 25yds, I figure it's more like 60MOA.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I've been thinking some more on this...

1- First time I shot this rifle... Williams FP, Bishop stock, barrel free-floating... it was bustin' clays @100yds.

2- This last time I shot it... Lyman #57, OEM stock, shimmed so as not to torque the action, barrel still free floating... It's hitting 4" low @25yds. I'm thinking no way is that going to get close @100yds.

Last time the action screws were torqued, I measured 25in.lbs. I wonder if I really need to take it up to 30in.lbs. (It works on my Savage .25-06.) On the instruction sheet for the F.A.T. wrench, they recommend 40in.lbs. and higher.

Thinking further just now, I just realized that the skinny screw in the middle... yeah, the 721 has one... may well need torque equal to the other two.

More to come...