It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Superior Magneto M1938
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:25 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I have this old compass... dated 5-44... been poking around the net this evening trying to find instructions. It was Granddaddy's... I've had it since I was eight years old and figure it's never been disassembled and cleaned. (Also, it could use its poles realigned... probably just takes a judiciously applied magnet.) I've seen a later model military lensatic compass that disassembled by removing four screws from the back. The M1938... everything appears to be press fitted and I don't know if it was even intended to be maintained.

Any thoughts?

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

Post subject: Re: Superior Magneto M1938
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the compass, I'd research for a shop that can deal with restorations of old equipment.

When you said magneto, I was thinking Spalding Flamethrower, or Harmon-Collins ignition Magnetos. They used to be prevalent on certain hot rods and dragsters. My bad. :?: :)

Post subject: Re: Superior Magneto Corp. M1938
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:00 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Well, I got the poles realigned. I got to looking at what magnets I have laying around... picked a small round one, centered it, and took three swipes to the north pointer... surprised me how fast it straightened out.

I remember when I found "an old compass" in Granddaddy's toolshed... IIRC, it was in one of his toolboxes. He didn't have a use for it and said take it. I really don't know how accurate it was then, but I did learn one thing... don't give an eight year old boy a compass and a magnet. I don't really know why it took 30 years to learn how to realign one.

Now, for the rest of the story, I'd look into that shop for a restoration. To have spent a good while in a toolbox... and Granddaddy wasn't a big deal tool user... this compass is in pretty good shape with a blemish or two.

Those ignition magnetos... while I have a magneto I believe came off a Model T, I don't know much about those.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

JR47 wrote:

When you said magneto, I was thinking .............

Founding member Magneto of the X-Men

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Somehow, I just can't picture him installed in a blown Hemi on a dragster. He'd ruin the streamlining, and make it hard to see to steer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_magneto

Quick tutorial. In the 40's and 50's you found hot rods using this system on the street. They were a quick way to gain ignition ability at extended rpms, and fire mixtures of fuel and air at high compression. Back then, anything over 4000 rpm taxed the ability of manufacturers distributors and coils. Problems arose in that the easiest way to start a magneto equipped V-8 was by push-starting it. I can remember asking my dad what was wrong with a really pretty hot rod, about 1954. He had parked on a hill, and rolled down it to start. We talked to the man, and he showed me his Flat-head equipped with a Harmon-Collins magneto. :!:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:36 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Now, come to think of it, Granddaddy mentioned rolling a A or B Model down a hill to crank it. I'd have to poke around some to find which one ran a flathead V-8. I'm thinking from the factory those must've still used magnetos.

The compass I posted about... I wouldn't have thought it, but it looks like the ebayers have been smoking some more of that expensive stuff. They want between $50 and $175 for different iterations dated between 1-44 and late '45.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The flat-head V-8 debuted in Fords in 1932. Magnetos were used in early cars , again, because they were more dependable than the existing Kettering ignitions of those days. A magneto doesn't operate with a battery, it's self-contained. That advantage was also seen in aircraft engines. Starting a magneto equipped car can be done by push-starting it, or by having a starter that plugs in to an external power source. :!: