It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: In keeping with tradition....................
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:45 pm 
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
They say if March comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb , I'm hoping after the first couple weeks of this it's herd of them ! Snow covered the ground this morning , making things a sloppy mess and in spades on the interstate . They shut down the west bound side about noon , it seems a car got in a dispute with a tractor trailer thinking it could occupy the same space at the same time :oops:

Still snowing but the roads are a little better now . Supposed to end later tonight and get colder .... great , I'm supposed to be cutting wood tomorrow :roll:

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

Post subject: Re: In keeping with tradition....................
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was trapped on I-81 a few years ago, when a light dusting turned into the inevitable foot of snow. We were bringing my son up to visit his kids, so we decided to push on. I-81 was a series of accidents involving tractor trailers. Many without any other vehicle involved. All the while, more tractor-trailers pushed up, and then past the accidents, to speed along faster than other traffic by about 15-20 mph. As other vehicles were doing about 25, that created ever more hazardous conditions.

Either the drivers were ALL poorly trained, or suicidal. Several of the more speedy ones were passed in a few miles, piled up against bridge abutments, or tangled in guard rails. After a while, speeds picked up. I'm going to suppose that was due to the lack of remaining "professional truck drivers" left to hold things up.

Yes, passenger vehicles do similarly stupid things in snow, but, the inevitable lowering of standards for truck drivers to become licensed and hired has certainly reduced the inevitability of the automobile driver being the one at fault.

Recently, as detailed here before Christmas, the neighbor was hit by the driver of an Autocar Dump Truck at a light. Two turn lanes, Autocar picked the inside one. When the light turned green, he pulled out. Having such a relatively long wheel-base, he had to pull into her lane to make the turn. In doing so, he struck her just behind the front door, luckily, it was a glancing blow, at low speed. He was unable to judge the path of his truck, or the unseen, but extended, front bumper. Said he'd been driving dump truck for 15 years. Of course, when asked, it was his first time in the companies AutoCar units, which are longer by several feet, then add in that extended front bumper. So much for "professionalism".

Don't get me started on truck drivers who attempt to pass each other on hills, and who do so while going 2 mph faster than the other truck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:25 am 

Rather than work in the snow today , my pal who was going to take town the other tree will be joining me at the range house instead . there , we can send some lead downrange for future generations to marvel at the wonders of a lead deposit in this area .

Jack :)

Black Rifles Matter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:02 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sounds great Jack.

Snowing like the dickens here and wind gusts are around 50mph. Not much of a day for shooting at my place. Weatherman says to expect 24 to 30+ inches of snow. Looks like I will have my work cut out for me tomorrow fighting through drifts. Sure am glad it March and not January.

Art

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was 31 degrees, and spitting rain when I went out to the doctor's this morning. It's now 43 degrees, with a 10 mph wind, and clearing. Temps supposed to climb to 60 by the week-end. May try to get to the range Friday, as more rain is predicted tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm 

It looks like I had the good day then with weather in the low teens and mostly sunshine .

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

As for me it was around 92 and I had a good day. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Warmest day of the calendar year here today.
No jacket, no hat.
Which means it will snow soon... :roll: