It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Checking In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:56 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

It's been a while and am checking in. I really haven't been around all that much on the other forum I used to frequent.

Figured I'd say hi and let you guys know I'm still alive and building AR's. Last AR project was a 12.5" barreled 556 AR pistol with a KAK Shockwave Blade. Up next is a 300BLK upper with a 10.5" barrel, for deer hunting, to put on the pistol lower.

Little DA wants to catch a deer with a net, during deer season. How many of you can see a 4.5 year old running across the field waving a little aquarium sized net, trying to chase down a deer? My dad and I were howling at that.

Hope all is well for you guys.

Admitted H&K fan boy

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. The makings of a great weekend in West Virginia. - An old guy

“Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Checking In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi DA! :D Glad you dropped in!
Better have Little DA practice on butterflies a while before he tackles the 4-footers. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good to hear from you DaemonAssassin ! Lets us know how that 300 Blackout works out for you on deer ! What will you be pushing, 110 or 250 gr. ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Sustinemus wrote:
Hi DA! :D Glad you dropped in!
Better have Little DA practice on butterflies a while before he tackles the 4-footers. ;)

He has already caught some lightning bugs, but I don't think he knows how fast a deer can run. :D

Admitted H&K fan boy

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. The makings of a great weekend in West Virginia. - An old guy

“Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:44 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

vanhahner wrote:
Good to hear from you DaemonAssassin ! Lets us know how that 300 Blackout works out for you on deer ! What will you be pushing, 110 or 250 gr. ??

I had to re-zero my 300BLK, due to putting a BCM KMR 13 on it and in the process I lapped the upper receiver face. When I did the re-zero, I dropped 3 consecutive shots through the same hole at 100 yards.

I'll be running Hornady Black 110 VMAX for deer slaying. I've seen what it can do, from what friends have done with their 300BLK rifles and pistols. My dad is still highly impressed with how light the 300BLK is, even with a full 20 round mag, and he is in love with the G2S trigger I have in it.

Admitted H&K fan boy

― Robert A. Heinlein

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Hey DA, good to see you again.

Much as I haven't been a fan of the AR series, the .300Blackout as a short lightweight hunting rifle does sound interesting. Savage did make a Model 10 Youth in .223... I could see doing a retro thing... rebarreling to Blackout and mounting a Lyman #57 or Redfield #70 rear sight. :)

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi. It has been a while. It has been a rough year. Hope you are all well!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Long time no see kiddo ! Fill us in on those missing years! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

mustanger98 wrote:
Hey DA, good to see you again.

Much as I haven't been a fan of the AR series, the .300Blackout as a short lightweight hunting rifle does sound interesting. Savage did make a Model 10 Youth in .223... I could see doing a retro thing... rebarreling to Blackout and mounting a Lyman #57 or Redfield #70 rear sight. :)

The AR in 300BLK is a really good choice. It replicates the ballistics of a 762x39 and 30-30 in the AR platform. Given that the host case is actually 223/556, you can convert 223/556 brass to 300BLK by chopping the case down a bit, then forming the case to accommodate the 30 caliber projectile. Did I forget to mention it is a 1 for 1 in 223/556 mags? Yes, if it is a 30 round 223/556 AR mag, it will take 30 rounds of 300BLK. No specialty mags needed. The AR in 300BLK can be incredibly accurate, if you build the rifle yourself and have to tools to do some accurizing, during the build process. My deer slayer sent 3 consecutive rounds though the same hole at 100 yards. I am not using any match grade parts, nor am I using handloads. With a 20 rounds, the rifle, the optic, optic mount, BCM handstop, and sling, the overall weight is around 8 pounds as I carry it around in the woods.

When it comes to 300BLK, I know people that have used an AR in 300BLK on hog hunts and killed many wild hogs. I also know a few that have taken bear with an AR in 300BLK. As a cartridge in general it is very versatile and the true beauty in the cartridge is the bullet weights you can utilize. The 300BLK can utilize 100gr all the way up to 230gr, as long as it is 30 caliber (.308 diameter). What makes it extremely appealing to me is that I can run a mag of supersonics through it, then put a mag of subsonics through it without having to do any work to modify the rifle. I have done exactly that at the range with friends. The 300BLK is a phenomenal cartridge for use with a suppressor, especially if you are shooting 208gr or 220gr projectiles. The sound of the action moving, then hearing the paper tearing is a unnerving experience the first time you do it. I recently assembled an AR pistol in 223/556 with a 12.5" barrel, now I am looking at getting the parts together to build a 10.5" 300BLK pistol upper, should SHARE, AHA, or SHUSH pass through Congress.

While you may not be a fan of the AR, I would recommend you take a look at the AR and how modular the AR has become in recent years. I will pass along a personal experience to you about the AR. My dad saw my 300BLK and wanted to check it out. I handed it to him with the bolt open, the way you would hand a sword to somebody just using your fingertips with the blade on top of your fingers. My dad lifted it out of my hands and almost threw it into the ceiling, because he wasn't prepared for how light it was. He admitted that my 300BLK looked like it was going to weigh in at around 12-15 pounds. Bear in mind, my dad isn't an AR fanboy, he is far from it, but after seeing what I can do with an AR, he is beginning to realize that the AR is capable of a lot more than meets the eye. All I can say is to give the AR a honest chance, you might be surprised and what is actually possible with it and how far it has advanced, since the 1960's.

A family friend (Vietnam vet and he is like a second father to me) wants an AR after shooting one of mine. Mind you he was in combat with an M16 back in 1967 or so. If anything I wouldn't think he would want to touch one, much less want to own one. He really wants one and after seeing me build my AR pistol, he wants to buy all the parts, instead of buying one off the shelf. Yes he wants one in 223/556 and he wants an upper that is 300BLK for deer hunting.

If you want a parts list, I'd be willing to send one to you. I will admit that the barrel company I use is moderately priced, but their barrels are incredible.

Admitted H&K fan boy

― Robert A. Heinlein

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Hopefully it shows the pic. There is a KAK Shockwave Blade on the buffer tube. It is a stabilizing brace, not a stock. The buffer tube is a pistol tube, that does not allow a stock to be installed.

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170212/10a9f097c488e10cf9e3f08572d97259.jpg
[/img]

Admitted H&K fan boy

― Robert A. Heinlein

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

DaemonAssassin wrote:
Hopefully it shows the pic. There is a KAK Shockwave Blade on the buffer tube. It is a stabilizing brace, not a stock. The buffer tube is a pistol tube, that does not allow a stock to be installed.

I got to the pic by cut/paste in a new window, but hey, it works too.

Yeah, umm, you know that Savage M10 re-barrel... .223 to 300BLK... I mentioned? Probably use a 16-18" barrel. Sights or low-power scope will be a snap. It don't need a buffer tube or a stabilizing brace... just set the headspace, sight it in, and go hunting. :)

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:15 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

mustanger98 wrote:
DaemonAssassin wrote:

I got to the pic by cut/paste in a new window, but hey, it works too.

Yeah, umm, you know that Savage M10 re-barrel... .223 to 300BLK... I mentioned? Probably use a 16-18" barrel. Sights or low-power scope will be a snap. It don't need a buffer tube or a stabilizing brace... just set the headspace, sight it in, and go hunting. :)

Meh, I'm a funny sort that loves the AR. The pistol in the pic is actually a 12.5" 556 barrel with a 12" handguard. I plan on building a 10.5" 300BLK upper for that pistol lower, should I ever wish to go and SBR that lower or a different lower.

I'm happy with the modular nature of the platform and the ease of building, maintaining, and swapping things out. No need to get all crazy and spend too much time doing a rebarrel on a bolt action, when I can do a easy rebarrel with the AR. Did I forget to mention I carry more ammo on the rifle in case Yogi the bear thinks I'm a free lunch? :)

Admitted H&K fan boy

― Robert A. Heinlein

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

That's the great thing about living in America... we have access to so many guns and so many parts and accessories... we even got pistols in .30cal... .30Luger, IIRC .30-30 in the BFR's other chambering, what else...

Ya know, DA, you might start a whole new thread of particulars on these Blackout builds in the Sporting forums for rifles and pistols here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

mustanger98 wrote:
That's the great thing about living in America... we have access to so many guns and so many parts and accessories... we even got pistols in .30cal... .30Luger, IIRC .30-30 in the BFR's other chambering, what else...

Ya know, DA, you might start a whole new thread of particulars on these Blackout builds in the Sporting forums for rifles and pistols here.

If you do, I'll comment and help people out that are looking to go into 300BLK. Lord knows, I've built enough of them for others.

Admitted H&K fan boy

― Robert A. Heinlein

Profile E-mail