It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Helmets
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Lately, I've seen where discussion turned to helmets at Western Rifle Shooters Association and a couple other blogs. Opinions... what, why, and why not... in that venue seem to be all over the place.

Any thoughts?

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

Post subject: Re: Helmets
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Just happy not to have to wear one for safety any more. I have punched a few holes in my noggin in attics over the years where I wished I had one on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Helmets, and their use, are a topic that is too wide to just try to argue for, or against.

Motorcycles- I'm for them. Properly designed, they do not obscure your vision, or hearing. Our neighbor's son is alive, and not a rutabaga, because of one that was destroyed in an accident. Two other neighbors were on a Gold Wing, riding in a group, and stopped at a red light. Some, shall we say less intelligent, rider behind them hit the gas, and rammed them at about 20 mph. They exited the bike, and slammed into a curb, with both helmets seriously damaged. Without a pair of helmets, they'd have been killed.

Safety helmets-various sports and job-sited require helmets. Usually after a series of lethal accidents over the years. Common sense would hold that, "if I'm wearing a helmet, I go home tonight", beats "helmet, we don' wear no steekin' helmets", on the gravestone.

In my years as a firefighter, we always wore helmets, even when dealing with non-fire activities. Banging your head on jagged sheet-metal during an extrication was always troublesome. Some of those helmets were anything but comfortable. However, the protection they gave was certainly comforting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm all for helmets. I never used to wear a helmet when training on the bike; no one did. Now everyone does! I can't believe the "hairnets" we used to wear racing. They were okay to prevent abrasion if you landed right, but for impacts? I was involved in a crash that killed a man after the cheesy leather strap broke on his cheesy leather helmet. The change came slowly after a few people started wearing hockey helmets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:46 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Helmet - motorcycle... check.
Better helmet -bicycle... check.
Hard hat - construction... check.
Firefighter's helmet... check.

I personally know some horse people who won't ride without a helmet... not disagreeing there either. I know bullriders have been wearing them, with a mask, for nearly twenty years... seems a bull named "Bodacious" started it.

Most of the debate on those blogs had to do with the current sociopolitical unpleasantness (aka rioting) in major cities. They mentioned the possible head injuries from any thrown rocks, bottles, etc. I know... best to stay out of there. They also debate whether or not the concerned citizen should bother to have/use any of the military varieties at any point before, during, or after SHTF.

Pro-gunner: "You're right. You wake up. It's 2am. A strange man is standing over your bed with a butcher knife. Quick! Hit him with your brain!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best be careful using surplus headgear. Note that, in these riots, several of the more experienced thugs use kerchiefs and helmets to keep in the fray. That makes people wearing similar attire a target to a pee'd-off cop, or even an upset shop owner.

Explain how any rational human is going to be carrying a military style helmet on their person when they're caught in one of these spontaneous riots? Do you wear it with your business attire? Carry it in your hands? What? If you have it in your vehicle, why not just leave when you reach that vehicle? Or, stay in that vehicle?

Most riots have little danger from above. The rioters will seldom establish a presence on floors above ground level, where the goodies are.

Heck, instead of a helmet, why not carry a rifle? That way, if someone tosses rocks or bottles from height, the prudent survivalist would just shoot them. It will only take one or two dead rioters to make that a game nobody wants to play. After all, you can't steal a 72" flat-screen if you're dead, or seriously wounded. :?: :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The other perk with helmets is the shield that goes with them.

No fun getting hit in the face with a rock kicked up from the car in front of you at 65 mph, or a June bug for that matter!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

vanhahner wrote:
The other perk with helmets is the shield that goes with them.

No fun getting hit in the face with a rock kicked up from the car in front of you at 65 mph, or a June bug for that matter!

That face shield would be a plus, and if I were in a hurry with a motorcycle, I'd sure want one. Now I'm trying to think back and recall how many car lengths before that's not a problem, but then there's that junebug. And as I understand, bikers have a whole different skill/concern set that most drivers don't think about.

A friend of mine has a history with motorcycles going back to the '70's. I'll have to ask her about her helmet some time, but I seem to recall her wearing goggles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:25 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

JR47 wrote:
Best be careful using surplus headgear. Note that, in these riots, several of the more experienced thugs use kerchiefs and helmets to keep in the fray. That makes people wearing similar attire a target to a pee'd-off cop, or even an upset shop owner.

A good point I think they missed.

Quote:
Explain how any rational human is going to be carrying a military style helmet on their person when they're caught in one of these spontaneous riots? Do you wear it with your business attire? Carry it in your hands? What? If you have it in your vehicle, why not just leave when you reach that vehicle? Or, stay in that vehicle?

That's another thing... most rational people don't even see a need for a helmet in most cases other than what we'd consider normal. Part of that other discussion I referred to... somebody said the helmet is only advisable if its user is set to defend a prepared fighting position. Most of us, outside a military organization, won't. (You know all those pics of IDF walking around with M-4's that go around the net? I've never noticed them carrying helmets either.)

Okay, so if you're in your vehicle, and you stay in the area, you can get your windows smashed in followed by a Molotov. The helmet won't help that, and obviously, neither did the car. Everything I hear says get out of there.

Another issue somebody mentioned was the weight of a helmet causing neck/shoulder pain.

Quote:
Most riots have little danger from above. The rioters will seldom establish a presence on floors above ground level, where the goodies are.

Heck, instead of a helmet, why not carry a rifle? That way, if someone tosses rocks or bottles from height, the prudent survivalist would just shoot them. It will only take one or two dead rioters to make that a game nobody wants to play. After all, you can't steal a 72" flat-screen if you're dead, or seriously wounded. :?: :)

Well, L.A. in '92... I don't think the roof-Koreans had helmets, but I've heard a good many references to their rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Well, after considering that other discussion and comments here so far, I don't see getting too concerned over not having any particular U.S. helmet (1917-present), or which one. No substitute for situational awareness and the ability to move.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The roof-Koreans in LA in 1992 weren't throwing anything off the roof. They were, however, willing to fire to protect their property. What, if anything, would be the advantage of tossing bottles and bricks at the crowd below if you have firearms?

In my mind, only if the rioters, or their organizers, took to the high ground, would such missiles be used indiscriminately on the public. Shop-owners would quickly be scooped up by the authorities. Look at Baltimore's States-Attorney, and who she had arrested, during those riots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:43 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I knew the Baltimore mayor said they'd allowed the rioters space to destroy other peoples' property, but I didn't realize they were arresting the owners of the property in the riot zone. I guess it shows how bad it's gotten since '92... a citizen, in a defensive role, loses in any event. This arrest-the-victim stuff is part of everybody being fed up.

If, as you're describing, the rioters and their organizers take the high ground and pelt the public with whatever's handy, it's a serious tactical upgrade (until they run out of junk, but who wants to find out how long that'll take). I'd think the general public needs to retreat... just let 'em have the place, contain it, and don't allow them to resupply.

The roof-Koreans were in a position where I'd figure it'd be hard for the street level rioters to throw stuff with much effect. And, like you said about a guy with a rifle quickly convincing the rioters not to loot. I don't figure the roof-Koreans needed helmets considering their elevated positions, their rifles, and their opponents.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In a blue state. like Maryland unfortunately is, the authorities will always try to deal with the rational group, and make "examples " of them for the press. Rioters seem to be written off as background noise. Really, they have how much video showing rioters breaking laws in plain sight, but, apparently, rather than identify them, and arrest THEM, they'd rather arrest and prosecute others who were defending their property. Something about a win-win for the politician. First, they get to act tough on "law-breakers", and they run little risk that the friends of the "law-breakers" will themselves riot in response.

May be why I'm in Georgia today. In the end, and as usual in a Democratic Administration, the tax-payers get it in the ear, or up the fundament. Somebody has to "help those poor people" . Many of whom were the ones causing the damages. So, money is funneled into "rebuilding" political supporters bank accounts, politicians get to preach law and order to criminals, and the tax-payer is left holding the bag.

Heck, if you can't find anything else to blame, arrest the Police. Yeah, THAT'LL work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:03 am 
Master Lieutenant General
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
Anybody remember the helmet that Culpepper wore to the fund raiser last year ?? :) :)

Jack

Black Rifles Matter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmmmmmmm????? Went back through all eight pages of the thread on your shoot, no pics of Culpepper's head-gear found. :?: