It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Century Arms / Khan Arthemis Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:43 am 
Colonel
Colonel

So I got the reloading bug.

Even worse, been trying to get into an over/under. Just got a little jittery when the shotgun starts pushing $2000. To see if I liked it, went out and found a decent shotgun that would show me if I would enjoy an over under.

Century Arms flyer on the different Khan's available.
http://www.centuryarms.com/pdf/Khan_Supr_flyer.pdf
http://www.khanshotguns.com/images/supr ... _under.pdf
http://www.khanshotguns.com

Went out a couple of weeks ago and decided to get a Khan Arthemis 12 o/u. The one with extractors and NOT ejectors.

Was looking for a decent o/u to see if I would like them without breaking the bank. It will eventually be replaced with a Silver Pigeon if today was any indication.

www.dhshotguns.com
These are Huglu guns made in Turkey.

Remington Spartans, are Baikals made in Russia. Not had a good reputation.

Verona, What I understand is they are Italian made. I know where to special order them from, but that is through work. Looks like a decent gun too.

Stoeger Condor.
Hmm, It's a Stoeger. I haven't shot one, just looked at them. Don't think I want to shoot one.

Khan Arthemis Supreme.
3" chamber and works with steel.
Bought mine from someplace other than Gander Mountain. Paid $229 for mine. It has so far turned out to be so much more for me than just a cheap shotgun. The skeet season will now tell. Choke tubes for this are supposed to be interchangeable with the Beretta Mobil's. Will find out for sure when I go seeking skeet tubes. Not sure it will will be justified until I actually get onto a pattern board.

Out of ALL of these shotguns, the Khan is the only one which has aftermarket chokes available for it. BIg, big plus in my opinion.

Initial impressions when I brought it home a couple days earlier and tore into it.

The fit and finish of the components is substantial. It isn't the machined, perfection of a $1000+ gun, but you can tell things were hand fitted.

This thing is a field gun in every sense of the word, something you would NOT be afraid to push against underbrush beating for pheasant.

Comparing it to the Stoeger Condors we have at work, I would take the Khan. The hand guard is removed with a lever much as most high end guns.

The gun does NOT have an automatic safety. You must put this gun on safe when you close the action. You are the deciding factor on this gun.

The barrel selector is also on the safety and worked quite well.

This gun does not have an inertia firing system. I mean you pull the trigger and the the firing pin on the selected barrel falls. On the high end shotguns, you need the recoil (inertia) to select the other barrel. On this gun, you pull the trigger, the first barrel fires, you pull the trigger again, the second barrel fires.

The chokes are supposed to be interchangeable with the Beretta Mobil choke system. You could put the Briley's or other brand into them. I am looking at a Trulock extended choke for mine.

It was an interesting gun to fire and use. It will be more interesting to see how it holds up to a full skeet season.

One of the "benefits" of where I work, I can order just about anything I see or find.

I think the difference in safety's is due to the ejector/extractor difference. The big deal I had was I didn't want my shell launching themselves on the skeet field. just the signs all saying, if it hits the ground your not supposed to pick it up. So this way I know it won't be leaving the gun.

On the choke tubes.
The biggest seller for me on this gun was the chokes. The factory chokes on the gun I looked at at Gander mountain scared the heck out of me. Made me think that this "$300" gun was just that CHEAP. I am finding out that isn't really so.

Briley's, Trulock, PatternMaster and a few others all make chokes for the Beretta Mobil system that the Khan is listed to interchange with.

Each one of those also make an EXTENDED choke for the Mobil as well. The Trulock Sporting clays is the choke I am looking at ordering from Midway USA for the Khan I got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:16 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Do they make a side by side? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:22 am 
Colonel
Colonel

http://www.khanshotguns.com/default_mai ... ricane.asp

Double exposed hammers too.

The only thing that century imports though is the coach gun according to their website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:17 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Thank you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:16 pm 
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
A quality gun for THAT kind of money ? wow , I really like hearing about good stuff like this .

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:23 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

took the bore snake after the barrels today after 50 rounds of my hand loads.

The stock chokes are NOT very friendly and strip plastic in large amounts. Trulock chokes are going to be a must.

The forcing cone on the barrels are ROUGH. Lucky me, I feel comfortable about polishing them up. Just gotta run to the parts store and get a brake cylinder hone of the proper size. Thinking a 11/16 or 3/4" bead hone should work nicely.

Once I get the forcing cone poished, it will be a matter of getting a 5/8" X36" dowel and the 0000 steel wool to burnish the barrel.

I keep reading about firing pin issues on this gun but no prove of it. In light of that, I may just order a couple of pairs just to have around in the shooting bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:46 pm 

Is there a way to polish the chokes that came with it any ? Since you can get replacements it wouldn't hurt anything to try huh?

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:00 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Jack Stanley wrote:
Is there a way to polish the chokes that came with it any ? Since you can get replacements it wouldn't hurt anything to try huh?

Jack

I have been looking at this all afternoon. You can actually SEE the thread pattern from the machining on the choke tubes. It literally PEELS the plastic on the wads. I am still pulling platic off the choke tubes now after pulling a bore snoke on it all afternoon on and off.

Something will have to be done if I am going to shoot two different skeet leagues with this gun.

Will see what happens with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:35 pm 

Maybe you could soak the tubes in Shooters Choice . They say that will dissolve plastic , but I haven't tried it .

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Acetone will disolve most plastics. If that doesn't do it toluene should (Gumout carb cleaner).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

sitting down with it now and putting anice Oil finish on the stock. Boy is this gun cleaning up nice.

Will have to get photos up soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:52 pm 

I am looking forward to seeing photos of it . Quality workmanship is always worth a look .

Jack