It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Eagle Eye Scopes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:43 am 
SERGEANT MAJOR
SERGEANT MAJOR

Anybody had any experience with Eagle Eye riflescopes? I saw some at the gunshow last weekend, they look good and if they are even half as good as the salesman said they were they would be a good deal for the money.

Post subject: Re: Eagle Eye Scopes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:19 pm 
Master Lieutenant General
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
Not with Eagle eye in particular , A rule of thumb I use for optical equipment is that you get what you pay for . So I tend to start with a higher dollar scope and stay away from the bottom side of price figures . I think it was JR that did some real checking on the lower end scopes and got a feel where reliable and inexpensive came together . I don't remember the contenders in his search though .

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What constitutes a "good" scope has more to do with how you intend to use it, than with price. Scopes for rim-fires needn't cost several hundreds of dollars, unless you're a National Competitor. Many of us talk ourselves into more scope than we need. Yes, a Leopold, Zeiss, or Swarovski scope are mechanical jewels, and will let you get every possible second out of a hunt's light conditions. They will also allow for that across-the-mountain shot. They impart bragging rights, too.

However, do we really need scopes capable of multi-hundred yard shots when we're deer hunting in the woods? How many of us are actually in a position where the very first fingers of light, or the very last, will mean anything?

I adhere to the old adage of spending as much on optics as the rifle cost. I own exotic scopes, but I was feeling flush at the moment of purchase. The majority of deer hunters around here are Simmons, Tasco, and Nikon Pro-staff guys. The high-end show-offs sometimes have a Burris, Leopold, or even a 4200 series Bushnell. However, it's usually the Simmons, Tasco crowd who bring home a deer every season. Why? They shoot one load, year after year, at ranges well under 100 yards, in the 0600-0800 or 1700-1800 time frame. They use lever-actions in .30-30 or .35 Remington, and know woodcraft.

I've started using original era scopes on many of my older rifles. It's amazing to see that the BEST scopes of just 50 years ago are just about as good as the cheap scopes available today. I have an old Savage Model 23D, in .22 Hornet, that has an externally adjustable Weaver on it. It's dim, and has a limited field-of-view, but it will get the job done. It also just looks right on that old rifle.

The Eagle Eye Optics have changed their name to IJK. Here's the site http://www.ijksales.com/index.htm

How good they are I don't know, as I've never laid eyes on one. I will keep an eye out for them, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:14 pm 
SERGEANT MAJOR
SERGEANT MAJOR

Unfortunately most of our hunting here in Arizona is in the 200 yds plus category. My wife just shot her first elk 2 weeks ago using a 7.08 with a Swift 3-9X50 scope. Her shot was 341 yards, uphill at first light. I was very impressed! Mine the next day was 100 yards, the very closest we got to any elk during the hunt. Almost all possible shots were 300 yards +. I use a Nikon Pro-staff 3-9X40 which I find quite adequate. My point is, around here you need pretty good optics but without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, and, where shots are longer, glass needs to be commensurate. I just disagree with the knee-jerk advice to purchase "this at a minimum" regardless of intended use. I shoot 100 yard paper with a .22 rim-fire, but not competitively, just because. I don't see the need for a Leupold 3-9x33 scope on a Glenfield Model 25 ( bought in 1974). Instead, I use a Simmons .22 Mag, in 3-9x32 A/O, that I bought from CDNN on close-out for $45.00.

The current price on SWFA for the Leupold is $399.95. The current price for the Simmons is $57.95, in either black matte, or silver. In a test using several other club members, we shot a Marlin model 25, with the Leupold, and the Simmons on my Glenfield. The Simmons, at 100 yards, using the same ammo in each gun, out of the same 50 round box, shot equally well as the Leupold.

I also have a PD friend, with an Interarms MK X, in 7 mm Rem Mag. He started off using a Tasco 4-16x44 scope, the old one with the pictures of animals on the power knob. He has used it for two decades, plus. He shoots mostly 175 gr. bullets. Recently, he upgraded to a Nikon Monarch in 4-16x42. The results? He likes the Nikon, but hasn't markedly improved his groups over the old Tasco. He just put the Tasco on another rifle, a Remington in .30-06. It dialed right in. The Tasco, FYI, was made in Japan.