It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NEW M14 receiver builder
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

There is a new builder of forged and cast receivers coming the beginning of the year
there is a group buy over on tfl
pre order pricing
7.62mm firearms
www.762mmfirearms.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NEW M14 receiver builder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:02 pm 
Private
Private

I bought a 762MM Firearms reciever in March. Received it late June. It hadn't been deburred before heat treat. I had to stone burrs out of the bolt catch slot, windage knob hole, and spring guide slot. There was a .005" step where the clip guide goes that had to be stoned down. Also, the inside heel of the receiver was radiused and didn't have the spot face for the bolt and the op rod tab slot was so tight a well worn HRA op rod was almost too big, let alone the new one I planned on using (it wouldn't even start in the slot). After all this was taken care of I tried to install the barrel. The barrel flopped around in the threads and when turned in almust to the shoulder would slide from side to side. I checked out the threads and the thread minimum was +.02 from max and the major diameter was +.03 and the threads were too wide. I called Chris Thomas and he said to return it. He called after receiving it and wanted to argue that there was nothing wrong with the threads and the receiver was to print. After several minutes trying to explain about the threads he checked the ID with calipers and admitted the threads were bad and said he'd run another receiver with the same SN and get it to me. 30 days later I called (he's hard to get ahold of) and was told my receiver had just come off the machine and was going to heat treat. 30 days after this I called and was told the receiver had been shipped 2 day before. 7 days later I called and was told to call the next day to get the tracking number. The next day (Saturday) after an hour and a half of trying I got Chris. He said he was busy packing to go out of the country and would call back in 5 minutes. When he called he said my receiver had been dropped in the mail instead of going to Fedex and had come back because of no postage. It had been remailed and I should get it soon. Still waiting. He says it's a really good receiver with the latest upgrades and bolt spot face in the receiver heel and the op rod slot is nominal and the threads are good and it's been deburred. I hope so. My old Armscorp receiver was closer to "mil-spec" than what I got the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Owch!
That is either the most unfortunate series of events, or a serious shirking or responsibility to the customer.

Let us know the final determination.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:57 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Ouch! I hope it all gets sorted out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So sorry to hear that machinist . Something like that would have pushed me over the edge. Lets pray that this one is to spec. buddy !

Our best hope for change can only come from breaking the congressional enclaves that have entrenched and strangled our political system.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:51 pm 
Master Lieutenant General

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
Machinist , welcome aboard and let me say that is an excellent product review you gave . To bad for the maker that his work isn't very flattering , I do hope they make it right for you .

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:47 pm 
Private
Private

Got my replacement receiver today. It's a piece of crap. Threads are bad (ID is small - barrel won''t screw in). The left lug is messed up. The distance from the face of the receiver to the receiver bridge is short. The receiver bridge where the rear of the bolt rests is galled up. The bolt won't center with barrel axis and it won't close all the way (this is without a barrel installed!). This is not usable at all. I will return it for a refund. Anybody that says 762mm receivers are good is lying. They're crap.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's too bad. :evil:
Give LRB a try. They have quite a following.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:22 am 

Location: South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
I hope they don't avoid you as much while you're trying to get a refund as they did while you were trying to get a good reciever .

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:38 pm 
Private
Private

Alright, here's what I found in inspecting this receiver. Every dimension I checked I also checked on a mid '80s Armscorp receiver (every dimension I checked on it was to print). First, the thread ID. I checked it with precision ground gage pins. It is suposed to be .918 +.004. It is .912. The counter bore in the front of the receiver is the same as the thread major diameter, checked with gage pins, it is supposed to be .975 +.005, is .997. The bore thru the receiver behind the threads , checked with gage pins, is supposed to be .919 + or - .005, is .907. The dimension from the front of the receiver to the back of the receiver bridge is very important. This retracts the firing pin until bolt lock up to prevent a slam fire. In the mid '80s when I was welding up and remachining cut M1 receivers my fixture held this dimension closely. A dimension under spec is dangerous and renders the receiver unusable. It was checked first with dial calipers, the with a 3"-4" micrometer, and triple checked by standing the receiver on it's face and using a tenth indicator to transfer the measurement to a Mitatoyo Heighth Master. It is supposed to be 3.935 -.01, is 3.917. Another problem is the spring guide slot. It is supposed to be .134 but it is tapered at the bottom .100" of the slot down to .118. It also has burrs in the slot so a guide will start to enter but will not move freely. At the front of the inside cut out there are two shelves the restrict the upward movement of the front of the magazine. These have a 6 degree angle and change to straight cuts parallel to the centerline about .685 wide and starting .370 from the barrel. The 762MM receiver doesnt have these straight cuts at all so the 6 degree cuts continue to the barrel and narrow down to .62 wide. The left lug has an angle to it from left to right and has a large radius at the front root that may be contacting the outer edge ot the bolt lug. The bolt when closed as far as it will go is pushed off center to the left and can plainly be seen as such by looking in the end of the receiver. It's that noticable (I used 2 new TRW bolts and a well worn HRA with the same results). Also, when holding the bolt in this position and pushing it back agianst the left lug a .006 shim will fit between the right lug and the locking surface of the receiver.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for that report.
It will be very interesting to hear how the outfit responds to this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if they are aware of the power of the Internet to inform potential customers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dvl wrote:
I wonder if they are aware of the power of the Internet to inform potential customers.

Here's a better one yet ! Report them to the A.T.F.E. on sending you a bomb !

Our best hope for change can only come from breaking the congressional enclaves that have entrenched and strangled our political system.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:29 pm 
Private
Private

Talked to Chris Thomas a bit ago. He said no problem with a refund. We then discussed what I'd found wrong with the receiver and discussed production techniques and QC methods. I expressed my concern that the operators weren't gaging the receivers as they came off the machine and final QC was missing alot. I told him to double check me on my dimensions and he said he'd go over the receiver when it came in get with his crew about it. He then asked if he could run another receiver and send it to me for evaluation instead of a refund and I agreed, but asked that he go over it first to check that a barrel and bolt would work. Chris seems committed to producing a good receiver and knows what needs to be done to correct the problems. Whether or not these changes can be implemented successfully remains to be seen. I'll report back on what the next one looks like.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:00 pm 
Surplus Ammunition's Master
Surplus Ammunition's Master

Great write-up/update to the 7.62mm Firearms new receiver design machinist, please keep the updates coming Sir.

"Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.